Zoodles and Meatballs ***

Meatballs from Wine and Glue

This is my first foray into using vegetables and a noodle substitute.  I had a bunch of extra zucchinis leftover from the weekend, some Italian meatballs I had made for my dad's birthday and a jar of tomato basil pasta sauce.  I don't have a spiralizer so I used a mandolin to slice the zucchini thinly lengthwise then into strips.  I really enjoyed this meal!


Italian Meatballs
My dad loves spaghetti and meatballs.  I've tried many different recipes and I really like this one.  I made a huge batch of these for his birthday and froze what I didn't use.  I substitute Italian sausage for the ground pork, add fresh garlic, add fresh minced onion, add Italian seasoning, I do not use fresh parsley as my kids do not like it.

Ingredients
1 lb ground chuck 85/15
1/2 lb ground pork if you can only get a pound, save half in the freezer
2 eggs whisked
4 slices of Italian bread 5 ounces
1 cup bread crumbs I used Italian seasoned
4 TBSP grated parmesan
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
2 TBSPs chopped fresh parsley

My doubled recipe
2 lbs ground chuck
1 lb Italian sausage
4 eggs whisked
8 slices of bread, soaked in 2 cups of milk
2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Instructions
1.  Preheat oven to 375
2.  Soak the bread in cold water (use the milk instead) for about five minutes, ringing out the excess water and pulling the bread apart with your fingers.
3.  Combine the meat, eggs, and parsley in a large bowl. Add the bread. Then add the dry bread crumbs, parmesan, garlic salt, and salt.  (Add some of the milk you used to soak the bread if the mixture is too dry)
4.  Using a cookie scoop scoop out the meatballs onto wax paper and then roll them into into consistent balls. Place them on a cookie cooling rack. Place that rack on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until you can cut into a meatball in the middle of the rack and not see pink.

Comments