Kimchee Stew - Kimchi-jjigae ***

From my friend Jun's Mom


I'm not a big fan of Kimchee but I don't mind Kimchee stew once in a while.  It's really easy to put together and great for a chilly day.  

Ingredients:
1/4 pound of the meat of your choice (I used a Korean spicy marinated pork belly that I sliced into bite sized pieces.)
1 medium Vidalia onion (peeled and quartered)
3 garlic cloves (sliced)
2 inch piece of ginger (peeled and sliced)
1/4 cup sliced cabbage Kimchee (I just bought the bite sized version.  You can also add more if you like Kimchee.  You can also add some of the Kimchee juice.)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
1 teaspoon Korean soy bean paste (doenjang)
1-2 teaspoons Korean hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
2 tablespoons bouillon (I used the Korean beef flavor)
4 cups of water
1 package of soft tofu (Use 1/2 a package if you don't like tofu.  I like a lot in my stew.  Cut it into bite sized pieces.)
1/2 cup of rice cakes
3-4 stalks of scallions (rinsed and sliced into 2 inch pieces)


Directions:
1.  In a heavy bottomed medium-sized pot, over medium heat, brown the pork belly.  Once the pork belly is brown, add the onion, garlic, and ginger.  Stir fry these together for about a minute.

2.  Add the Kimchee, sugar, hot pepper paste, soy bean paste, hot pepper flakes, bouillon, and water.  Turn the heat up to high and let the stew come to a boil.  Lower the heat so the stew is just simmering, cover and let the stew cook 20-30 minutes.  Taste the stew and adjust the amount of spiciness and saltiness to your taste.

2.  Add the tofu and rice cakes.  Let the stew simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes.  

4.  When ready to serve, stir in the scallions.  Serve with bowls of steamed rice.  

Note:  I don't like the taste of raw scallions so I add it with the tofu and rice cakes to let it cook.  I also like mushrooms so I toss in some when I add the tofu.  Just wash and slice the mushrooms.

Comments