Low-fat Lemon Curd ***

From Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts by Alice Medrich, found at Baking Bites

I love lemon curd on my toast, scones, as a filling..... But it's so fatty, made with egg yolks and butter. I came across this recipe in Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts. It is just fab!!! So simple and easy to make. Also just the right portion for 1 person for a week or two. I altered it a bit to my taste and it is still wonderful. Do give it a try.

Ingredients
1/3 cup strained, fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh lemon zest
5 tbsp sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1.  In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, combine sugar and lemon juice. Add zest and stir until sugar is dissolved completely.

2.  In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg. Whisking constantly (or with an electric mixer on low), very slowly stream the hot lemon-sugar syrup into the egg. Beat for 2 minutes (only 1 if you’re using a mixer), then transfer back into the saucepan by pouring the mixture through a sieve.

3.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the curd just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

4.  Transfer to a small airtight container and store in the fridge.

5.  Makes about 2/3 cup. Recipe can be doubled.

* Note: I didn't strain mine as I enjoy the zest in my lemon curd. It was nice and tart.

Comments