Blini with Smoked Salmon ***

From Barefoot Contessa in Paris by Ina Garten, found at Barefoot Contessa


I wanted something light tonight and had smoked salmon in my fridge so I decided to try making this recipe. I didn't have buckwheat flour so I just used all-purpose flour. I also omitted the butter and substituted fat free butter substitute as well as nonfat milk and nonfat sour cream. All in all I found it satisfying.

Ingredients
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 extra-large egg
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, clarified
1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
Fresh dill, for garnish

Directions
1.  Combine the two flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter, then whisk into the flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter in a medium sauté pan and drop the batter into the hot skillet, 1 tablespoon at a time. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form on the top side of the blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 more minute, or until brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. (I clean the hot pan with a dry paper towel between batches.) Set aside.

2.  To serve, top the blini with a piece of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprig of dill.

Comments