Tofu Basil **

From my Mom


My mom has this great recipe for a Basil sauce. But, unfortunately, I had to work with what I had in my pantry. Still this recipe was inspired by her.

I used firm tofu here that I had pressed earlier in the day. Pressing gets the liquid out of tofu and helps it to not break up so much in the cooking process. It's very easy to do. Just take the tofu out of the the packaging. Wrap it in a few paper towels, then wrap it in a clean kitchen towel. Place it on a plate and put a heavy object on top of it. I used a few pots. Then just let it sit a while. I let mine sit about two hours. Unwrap, slice, and you are ready to cook.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 Thai chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package of firm tofu, pressed and sliced into one inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 scallions, sliced into one inch pieces
1 handful Thai basil leaves
1/2 package sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
IN A LARGE SKILLET OR WOK, over medium heat, add the olive oil, Thai chili peppers and garlic. Let the chili pepper and garlic cook about a minute to infuse the oil. Stir so the pepper and garlic doesn't burn. Add the tofu, salt, and pepper and cook until the tofu has browned, about three to four minutes. Once the tofu has browned, add the scallions, basil, mushrooms, and oyster sauce. Stir and let cook about two minutes. Add the water and let cook another two minutes. Taste. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with steamed jasmine rice or alone. Enjoy!

Comments