Lemon Chicken with Mashed Cauliflower and Sauteed Spinach **

From Me


These recipes I threw together on a quick trip to the market. I knew I wanted a lemony chicken. I saw the cauliflower while walking through produce and thought I'd try my hand at making some mashed cauliflower. While walking out I decided I wanted something green so picked up a bag of pre-washed baby spinach. The chicken was a little dry. Next time I'll come up with a sauce to go over it :)

Ingredients:
LEMON CHICKEN
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, quartered (squeeze the juice into the marinade and throw the lemon pieces in as well)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 pound chicken breasts (I used thinly sliced breasts as I wanted it to cook faster. But I'm sure regular chicken breasts will work as well.)

MASHED CAULIFLOWER
1 head cauliflower
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
1 tablespoon fat-free buttery spread
3 tablespoons roughly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

SAUTEED SPINACH
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bag baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. PUT ALL THE CHICKEN INGREDIENTS in a Ziploc bag, close and shake the bag to combine. Let the chicken marinade in the fridge while you prepare the sides.

2. WASH AND SLICE the cauliflower, removing and disregarding the stems. Place the florets into a medium pot, add water, and bring to a boil. Let the cauliflower cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add the cream cheese, butter, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper and mash with a potato masher or handheld electric blender. I found that the blender worked better. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.

3. GRILL or cook the chicken in a skillet. About 5 minutes each side for the thin chicken breasts.

4. WHILE THE CHICKEN IS COOKING, in a large skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Let cook about a minute. Add the spinach and let cook about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and taste. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Plate and enjoy!

Comments